May 27, 2016, Information
There are so many incredible foods, superfoods and herbs that can help boost your immune system this winter, and as the old saying goes, prevention is the best cure. Keeping colds and flus away is all about strengthening your immune system and keeping your body clean. Think about this: what you eat and drink directly feeds the cells of your body, so quite literally your body is made up of the nutrients you consume. Is your diet feeding disease or fighting it? The immune system plays such a crucial role in our health, especially during the winter months, so lets help it out with some of my favourite immune boosting tips.
1. Garlic is a supreme lung and heart tonic. It’s great for lung infections or congestion, as well as being a natural antibiotic, antimicrobial and antifungal. It lowers blood pressure and opens up the blood vessels. It’s so easy to add to your meals, and so delicious. If you’re game you can add a small clove to your juices. Crushing garlic really potentates its power by activating certain enzymes so it’s always best to crush before chopping.
2. Ginger is a spicy, warming herb and one of the best antioxidant. By protecting the cells, it provides a barrier against pathogens. When your body has adequate antioxidants it can neutralise free radicals, which means it can stay strong when winter bugs come along. Ginger is also great for your digestion and circulation so get as much of it into your diet as possible.
3. Turmeric is rich in antioxidants and curcumin, a powerful anti-inflammatory compound. It’s also one of the best herbs for the liver. If you can get your hands on fresh turmeric(looks like small, orange ginger) it’s the most potent for the immune system. Add to curries, stir fry’s or sprinkle the powder on roasted vegetables…mmmm.
4. Medicinal Mushrooms are used extensively in Asia but are gaining popularity in Aussie kitchens due to their incredible taste as well as their health enhancing properties. Mushrooms like Reishi and cordycepts have been used for thousands of years to increase energy and boost immunity, as well as many other health benefits. We sell a variety of powdered superfood mushrooms from Teelixer.
4. Echinacea is one of my favourite herbs. It’s so gentle yet so effective in treating or preventing most acute infections. It’s also very good for the immunity of the skin, effectively treating acne, eczema, boils, rashes, cold sores, etc.
5. Olive leaf specifically treats viral infections and fevers. It can also be used long term for chronic infections such as systemic candida, toe nail fungus, cold sores and other sneaky viruses.
6. Probiotics. It is estimated that 70% of the immune system is located in the gut! This means it’s important to have the right kind of bacteria present, and the wrong kind out. Here at Cleanse, we believe that healthy digestion and elimination is fundamental to good health and a strong immune system. If your bowel is encrusted with hardened waste from years of processed food, then no doubt you have the wrong type of bacteria present. If you are constipated, have IBS or inflammatory bowel dysfunction, it’s a sign from your body saying..help me!! Start by cleansing your bowel with a series of colonics then recolonising with the proper bacteria.